Completely surrounded by a moat, it is a 5 bay, 2 storey house with pilaster steps. Of white brick, it is not a particularly distinguised building; but its site is that of two earlier houses, one of which was destroyed by fire shortly before the present house was built in the 1830's.
Ref: Kenworthy-Browne, et al. 1981. Burkes' and Savills guide to Country Houses: Volume 3 - East Anglia.
Metfield Manor was granted to Thomas de Brotherton, Earl of Norfolk, son of King Edward I, prior to 1319, by the Crown. Sir John Jermy married first Jane, sister of Alice, wife of Thomas de Brotherton, and in 1325 Thomas de Brotherton conveyed to his brother in law, Sir John Jermy, two parts of the manor and the third part to his wife for the assignement of her dower.
In 1343 Sir John Jermy held the manor at a quarter of a fee of the Manor of Kingshall, and he had a grant of free warren here. The manor passed on his death to his son and heir, Sir Thomas Jermy, and on his death in 1359 it went to his son and heir, Sir William Jermy, who married Elizabeth, daughter of John de Hemenhale. He was buried at Metfield in 1385, his wife Elizabeth surviving him. Sir William Jermy bequeathed his body to be buried in the church of St John Baptist, Metfield. The manor went to Sir William's son and heir, John Jermy, who married Margery, daughter of Arnold de Mounteney, alias Multney.
In 1428 Sir John Jermy and Margaret Mounteney his wife were owners of this and Withersdale Manor, and they rebuilt the church and manor house, where Sir John placed the marriages of his family in the windows, and his arms are carved in divers parts of the roof and in the stone on the font. ** Sir John Jermy, of Metfield, who married Elizabeth, daughter of William Worth or Wroth, of Enfield, Middlesex, and had two sons. From Thomas the younger son descended the Jermys of Bayfield, in Norfolk, and Sir John Jermy the eldest son continued the family at Metfield. He married, secondly, Isabel, daughter of John Hopton, and on his death in 1504 the manor passed to his son and heir, Edmund Jermy, who married Ann, daughter of William Booth, and died in 1506, when he was succeeded by his son, Sir John Jermy, K.B., of both Metfield and Brightwell, who married Margaret, daughter and one of the heirs of Sir Thomas Tey, Knt.
Sir John Jermy, Knt., died in November 1560. In the diary of Henry Machyn, citizen of London, 1550 - 1563, is the following notice of his funeral:
The xxiij day of November (1560) was bered in St. Stephen's in Colmanstrett, Sir John Jermy, knyght of Suffolk, beyond Epwyche iiij mylles, the wyche was a good man of the age of iiijxx (?) and ode, the wyche he left iiij sunes and iij dowthers, and he had a standard, and a pennon of armes, and a cott armur, elmett, targett, and sword, and mantyll, and a iij dosen of skochyons and alff a dosen of bokeram; and the chyrche was hangyd with blake, and with armes; and there was mony morners, and gohyng to the chyrche a mornar beyrying the standard in blake, and anodur a pennon of armes, and then serten mornars; then cam master Somersett the harold bere the elme and crest, and after cam master Clarenshux beyryng ys cote armur, and the clarkes syngyng; and then cam the corse with the palle of blake velvett with skochyons on yt, and then came the cheyff morners, and after ys servandes in blake; and master Mollens the archdeacon dyd pryche; and after all done hom to a flechers howse to dener.
The manor passed to Sir John's son and heir, Francis Jermy, who was High Sheriff in 1587. Francis Jermy married Elizabeth, daughter and coheir of Sir William Fitz-William, Knt., in Ireland, and on his death the manor passed to Sir Thomas Jermy, K.B., who married Jane or Joan, daughter and heir of Sir Edward Styward, of Teversham, and had issue four sons - Thomas, Edmund, John, and William, and on Sir Thomas's death the manor passed to his son and heir, Thomas Jermy, who was lord in 1643, when he held his first court on 16th November. He died on 21st December 1652 and was buried at Metfield. The older Jermy house became extinct with his death.
In 1658 we find Thomas Smallpiece lord. He married Alice, daughter of Francis Jermy, of Gunton, Norfolk (she died 26th May 1672, aged 36), and died 22nd April 1673, when the manor passed to his executors, Arthur Jermy, clerk, Thomas Carnel, clerk, and Thomas Lowe, gent. The manor was shortly after acquired by Francis Sancroft, who held his first court on 27th April 1682.
Refs: Blomefield, F. 1805. Topographical
History of the County of Norfolk.