Stutton Hall.
(Grid Ref: TM 140 338)

Built by Sir Edmund Jermy, 1553, this is a complex house. Originally half timbered, but received a brick casing in the late 17th century and early 20th century. Bold chimney breasts with ornamented round chimneys of early Tudor patterns.

Stutton Hall is a mansion in the Elizabethan style, thoroughly renovated in 1892. It is remarkable for its ornamental chimneys and gateway. A description of about 180 years ago states:

The house was formerly the residence of the family of Jermy, and still retains some remains of its original consequence. One the north side is a walled in garden, and opposite to the centre of the house a small gateway for foot passengers only, built of red brick somewhat in the style of the gateway at Erwarton. It is very evidently of nearly the same date and has similar chimney-like turrets at the angles, at the corners also of the walled court, and in other parts of the hall are other similar turrets. The old chimneys of the house still remain and are very curiously wrought, no two of them alike. The south part, except the chimneys, has little marks of antiquity, but the first room you enter shows its date and origin. It was probably the old hall or part of it, and is now used by the family as their sitting room. The remains, however, most worthy of notice, are in a room above stairs over the hall. This is wainscoated with chestnut or walnut tree, and ornamented with numerous and curious carvings. In different parts of it are Corinthian pilasters at the base of which are emblematic figures carved into the sculptures over them in some, though I could not find out that they were in all, allusive to the carvings. (These carvings were removed in 1841, by the then owner, Lord Tollemache, to Helmingham Hall.) The house stands on a rising ground looking over a handsome grove upon the Manningtree river. The grove extends down to the water's edge and contains some very fine ash and other trees. I measured one at about 4 feet from the ground and found it nearly 10 feet in circumference. Nothing can be more desirable than the situation of this estate, which must in its perfect state have been a most desirable residence.

There is a legend that a man's head is seen from time to time flitting through the kitchen of the house.

Refs: Copinger, W.A. 1911. The Manors of Suffolk. 6. 100
Crisp, F.A. 1881. Some account of the Parish of Stutton.
Kenworthy-Browne, et al. 1981. Burkes' and Savills guide to Country Houses: Volume 3 - East Anglia.


Manor of Stutton Hall.

The manor was vested in William Curson, of Brightwell, who died in 1476, when it passed to his daughter and heir, Margaret, married to Sir Thomas Tey, Knt., whose daughter and co-heir, Margaret, married Sir John Jermy, K.B., and carried the manor into that family.

Sir John Jermy died in 1560, and the manor passed to his 2nd son, John Jermy, who married Margaret, daughter and co-heir of Edward Isaac, of Well Court, Kent. On dying in 1592, the manor passed to his son and heir, Sir Isaac Jermy, of Stutton, Knt., who married Jane, daughter of John Palgrave, of Barkingham, Norfolk, by Frith, daughter of William Saunders of Ewell, Surrey. She died 7th January 1623, aged 58. On Sir Isaac's death the manor passed to his son and heir, John Jermy. He married Mary, daughter and heir of Sir William Rowe, Knt. He died at the age of 61 in 1662, and the manor passed to his son and heir, William Jermy, of Stutton. He married first Mary, daughter of Philip Bedingfield, of Ditchingham, Norfolk, and secondly Anne, daughter of Sir John Boys, Knt., of Bonington, Kent, and died 5th October 1669, when the manor passed to his son and heir by his second wife, John Jermy.

We next find the manor vested in John Hayes, who died in 1713, when it passed to his brother and heir, Hezekiah Haynes. In 1881 the manor contained 267 acres, and was the property of Joseph Catt, Esq., who purchased it from Lord Tollemache, who inherited it from his kinswoman, the late Countess of Dysart.

Refs: Copinger, W.A. 1911. The Manors of Suffolk. 6. 98
Crisp, F.A. 1881. Some account of the Parish of Stutton.


Previous Thumbnails Next