Metfield - St John the Baptist - nave
1) In 1385 Sir William Jermy was buried in the church, and gave cs ad factur campanile de Medefeild, xxs. towards repairing the church of Mendham, and the same summ to Gosbeck.
2) John Jermy was buried at the north east corner of the chancel. The inscription was cut in old text letters on his ledger stone, but it is so worn and broken that only this remains: Johannes Jermy Miles quondam Dominus ..... ..... et ... ... ...qui obiit ..... .....
3) John Jermy died at Buckenham Ferry on 24 February 1487. He chose to be buried here, and bequeathed legacies to the church of Metfield, and those of Buckenham Ferry and Hasingham, of which he was patron. He ordered 100 marks to be distributed to the poor on his burial day, and deposited in the hands of Thomas Pakefield, Abbot of St. Bennet, at Hohn, whom he appointed one of his executors, 200 marks, as a maintenance for a charity priest to sing mass therin daily for him and his family for ever.
4) His eldest son Sir John Jermy died on 13 January 1504, and was buried here two days later in the chancel. A brass plate on his leger stone states: Orate pro animabus Johannis Jermy et Isabelle uroris sue, unius filiarum Johannis Hopton Armigeri, qui quidem Johannis obiit xiii die Januarii Anno Domini MDiiii. Quorum animabus propicietur Deus Amen.
Arms: Argent a lion rampant guardant gules, Jermy impaling Hopton.
5) His fourth-great grandson Thomas Jermy died on 21st December 1652, and buried in an altar tomb at the north east corner of the chancel.
Thomas Jarmy Esq; sonne and heir of Sir Thomas Jarmy, knight of the noble order of the Bath. 21 Dec 1652.
Arms: Argent a lion rampant guardant gules,
There is also a ledger stone in the chancel to the next lords of Metfield Manor, prior to it being sold.
Here lyeth the body of Francis Smallpeece, Esq., sonne and heire of Thomas Smallpeece and Anne his wife, who dyed ye 3 of August 1652. (Thomas Smallpiece married Alice Jermy, and are both buried in All Saints, Worlingham. Alice was the second cousin, once removed of Thomas Jermy, above; the last of the older Jermy house.)
Ref: Blomefield, F. 1805. Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.